February 28, 2011

the one about Killzone 3

Most Killzone 3 reviews seem to focus on two points; 1. It looks great and 2. The story is bad. After completing the campaign last Friday night, I can't help but agree.


While I wouldn't go as far to say it was dumb or horrible, I would say that I did not like it's execution. The game spans six months but the passage of time isn't really shown other than characters' hair and beard growth. It seems to me that the story would have come across better if presented in an episodic format.  For example, if each mission would have set-up that your squad's actions would buy the ISA holdouts X amount of time before the Helghast find them.  Instead we weren't really given any sort of idea as to how the ISA survived for so long stranded in hostile territory.  I think had they gone that route, the story could have been more personal while helping to sell the idea that the ISA actions were frustrating the Helghan government and adding to the political infighting. The story as is, is fine.  Its typical FPS fare but could have been much better.

As for gameplay, I liked the feeling of the new controls. There was still some sense of weight and momentum while giving the ease of use of Call of Duty games. I played through the campaign using the Dualshock 3 but have played a level using basic Move controls. Move was much more sensitive than I was expecting. Headshots were easier but sometimes my PS Eye would lose sight of me and the viewpoint would go a little crazy. I'm going to keep experimenting with the settings and give it another shot with the Sharpshooter attachment.

Overall Killzone 3 is a good game that's just a couple steps away from great. Hopefully the next one can take that leap.

1 comment: